TISSIER, Louis Edward
Louis graduated from St. Elizabeth's Grade School, 25th and Ridge Avenue, E. St. Louis in June, 1922. He attended Route College Academy (high school) in Jacksonville, IL where he graduated in June of 1926. In Sept., 1927, he and two of his buddies from E. St. Louis (Norman Bauer and Joe Reynolds) signed up with the Barnett Mule Co., to take 900 mules to Europe on a Cattle Boat, The S.S. London Corp. A total of 25 went . . . mostly from the E. St. Louis area. They sailed from Portsmouth, VA on Sept. 15, 1927 and returned on Nov. 11, 1927, landing in New York. In 1934, his cousin, Father Francis F. Formaz of Jacksonville, IL took Louis E to Europe aboard the Breman ship to visit relatives in Martigny, Switzerland and other surrounding towns. They also attending Passion Play held at Oberamergau, Germany. In Dec. 1943 Louis E. went to Europe for the third time . . . this time under very different circumstances: aboard a "Victory Ship" loaded with American soldiers going to war in the European Theatre. He was stationed in England and then Belgium. Louis took his first permanent job at the age of 19 with Sears Roebuck on Collinsville Avenue in E. St. Louis, IL. He started in Jan. 1929 and continued working for them until his retirement in 1965 . . after 36 years of service for the same company! He lived in Belleville most of his life, then at Charles Gardens Retirement home. (Thank you Clare for this very nice accounting of Louis.)
TISSIER, Louis Francis
Unknown newspaper clipping c. Oct. 1905: QUIET HOME WEDDING FOR POPULAR EAST SIDE COUPLE --Much interest is manifested in East St. Louis (IL) in the marriage of Louis F. Tissier, secretary of the retail merchants' association of that city, and Miss Clara M. Metzger of Winchester, Ill., which will take place at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lambert Metzger, in Winchester, on Wednesday morning, October 18, at 8 o'clock. The ceremony will be preformed by Rev. Father F. F. Formaz, cousin of the groom, who is pastor of St. Mark's church in Winchester (IL). The attendants will be Miss Lucy Metzger, sister of the bride, who will be bridesmaid, while Maurice Tissier, brother of the groom, will be the best man. The wedding will be a quiet affair. Only the near relatives and most intimate friends will be present. Mr. Tissier is the eldest son of the late Maurice Tissier and is a young man of fine character and business qualifications. His father was prominent in the business life of East St. Louis in the early days. Miss Metzger is the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lambert Metzger. Her father is a retired merchant. She has many friends in East St. Louis.
TISSIER, Maurice Francis
Article written for the "History of St. Clair County, Illinois" before 1905: MAURICE E. (should be 'F') TISSIER The able editor of the East St. Louis Herald, was born in Florissant, St. Louis county, Missouri, December 25, 1853. His parents are both living. His father is a grocer by occupation. His mother's maiden name was Mary Formaz. The Tissiers came to America in 1849, from Switzerland. They located first in Wisconsin, thence went to Chicago, and last to St. Louis. Maurice F. Tissier attended the college of the Christian Brothers in 1865 and 1866; then St. Vincent's College, at Cape Girardeau three years, and last St. Vincent's Seminary, in Germantown, Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1873, after which he returned to St. Louis and commenced commercial life, clerking for his father, who was then in the clothier's trade. On the 19th of August, 1875, he was married to Miss Catharine Meyers, of Carondelet. This was notable as having been the first solemn nuptial High Mass wedding in East St. Louis (IL). By this marriage there have been born three children; Louis, who was born on the first anniversary of the wedding day, Mary, and Maurice Nicholas. In 1875 Mr. Tissier went into the grocery business on the Island, where he remained two years, vacating in favor of his father, whose store had been destroyed by the bridge fire in February. In May, 1877, he was appointed city clerk by Mayor Bowman, which position he held until discharged in December. In March of the following year he was reinstated in this position by vote of the city council, and held it two years. His first writing for the press was in 1874, at which time he averred the time would come when he would own and edit a newspaper. In 1878 he started the East St. Louis Herald as an opposition paper--that is, opposition to the Bowman rule in the city. This paper has met the approval of the people, and being well conducted, is a recognized power in local politics. Mr. Tissier is a member of the Board of Education, in whose work he takes a lively interest. He is a member of the order of Catholic Knights of America, and is at present the recording secretary of his branch, and was a delegate to their last national convention. He was appointed a Notary Public July 4, 1877, by Gov. Cullom, to which position he was re-appointed in 1881. As a business man he is prompt and energetic; as a citizen, alive to the best interest of his community. A true friend himself, he lacks not for friendship; gentlemanly and courteous in manner, he and his paper, which reflects his sentiments, are growing in popular favor.
-- 2nd TIDBIT: From the East St. Louis (IL) Herald dated August 19, 1876: MAURICE TISSIER: The possession of no worldly riches, the attainment of no great position could have given Mr. Maurice Tissier, of the Third ward, one-half the genuine joy of heartfelt gladness, that nature has occasioned him by her bountiful gift in the shape of a bouncing baby boy. The happy event occurred on yesterday, and there is such a remarkable coincidence of circumstances connected with he marriage of Mr. Tissier and the birth of his first born and son, that it makes him at once a man of extraordinary close calculation as to the occurrence of future events. On August 18, 1875, Mr. and Mrs. Tissier were united in the holy bonds of matrimony; on August 18, 1876, the happy couple were blest by a son. It is only necessary to add that Mrs. Tissier and child are doing remarkably well.
-- 3rd TIDBIT: From Portraits and Biographical Record, St. Clair Co., IL written between 1889 & 1894) MAURICE F. TISSIER. A potent influence in all matters pertaining to the welfare of East St. Louis and vicinity is wielding by the Weekly Hearld, a favorite paper among the citizens of St. Clair County. The editor, Mr. Tissier, is a forcible and pleasing writer, and presents news from the world at large, as well as a complete report of local affairs. The paper is a five-column quarto, issued weekly, and was formerly Democratic in its political affiliations, but is now independent, supporting those measures and men best adapted to promote the general progress of the community. Mr. Tissier was born in Florissant, St. Louis County, Mo., on Christmas Day, 1853. His father, Francis, was a native of the canton of Valais, Switzerland, and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary T(F)ormaz, was also there born, of Swiss-French parentage. The father was a tailor by trade, and followed that occupation in his native country, from which he emigrated to America in 1849, and sojourned for a time in Chicago. From that place he removed to Wisconsin early in the '50s, and was there engaged first in the lumber business, but later came to St. Louis and began business as a grocer. At present, he is successfully following mercantile pursuits at No. 1443 Biddle Street, St. Louis, and is a prominent and prosperous business man. Of the eight children born to Francis and Mary Tissier, only two are now living, Maurice F., being the elder, and Joseph, who is still single and remains with his parents. Maurice's boyhood days were passed in the city of St. Louis, and he was the recipient of an excellent education. During 1865-67, he was a student at the Christian Brothers' College, later attended St. Vincent College at Cape Girardeau, Mo., for three years, and, lastly, entered St. Vincent's Seminary, Germantown, Pa., where he completed the course of study, and graduated in 1871 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. It will thus be seen that he was afforded splendid educational opportunities, and to say that he availed himself to the utmost of his advantages is but to state what actually occurred. Some years after graduating, the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him. Returning to St. Louis at the close of his college life, Mr. Tissier embarked in commercial pursuits, and from the first success rewarded his efforts. In 1875, he commenced in the grocery business on the Island, and was thus engaged for a few years, his fair dealing and uprightness in business transactions winning for him a large trade, as well as a high place in the regard of those whom he met. The Mayor of East St. Louis in 1877 appointed him City Clerk, in which place he officiated to the satisfaction of all. In 1877, he was also appointed Notary Public by Gov. Cullom, and has since held that position. Since the inception of the East St. Louis Herald in 1878, he has had charge of its editorial department, as well as of the general oversight of its business management. Its job office is now one of the best equipped in the county, and contains everything necessary for first-class work in that line. In addition to his editorial duties, Mr. Tissier is serving as Justice of the Peace, to which office he was elected in 1888. At that time his election was contested, but he brought suit and fought the case in the Supreme Court, the result being a decision in his favor. At East St. Louis, August 18, 1875, Mr. Tissier was married to Miss Catherine Meyers, who was born in Carondelet, St. Louis County, her parents being August Meyers and Mary (Annette) Meyers. Of the marriage there have been born, as Mr. Tissier says, "one boy for every day of the week and one girl for Sunday." They are Louis, Mary, Maurice, Joseph, Frank, Charles and Paul. The children are all at home and the eldest son, Louis, is assisting his father in the management of the Herald. In religious matters, Mr. and Mrs. Tissier are identified with St. Patrick's Catholic Church, and he is a member of the organizations known as the Catholic Knights of America and of Illinois. Successful in his business pursuits, Mr. Tissier has become the owner of some real estate, and has gained that which is better still -- the esteem of his fellow-citizens.
TRITZ, Adam & John
Two sons of John and Marguerite (Lieders) Tritz of St. Martin's Parish, Tunsdorf, Trier, Germany, came to America via New Orleans and settled in Tetes des Morts (St. Donatus) Jackson County, in late 1846. The two Tritz brothers and families were Adam and wife Maria (Wagner) Tritz with their three sons, John A., Nicholas, and Mathias B., ages 13, 9, and 6 respectively; and the other brother was John, with his wife Mary (Walter) Tritz, and their son John A., age 11. Both families settled on the land and farmed near St. Donatus. Both were active in civic and church affairs. The church records note that the second and third brick alcoves completed in 1862 for the outdoor Way of the Cross (a tourist attraction today) were financed, one by Adam and one by John Tritz. John and his family remained on the farm, and to this day, a direct descendant is farming that same land acquired by John and Mary in 1847. Adam and Mary Wagner Tritz had two more sons after coming to America, another they named John, born June 26, 1847, and the other Peter, born in 149. Maria died November 13, 1850. Their oldest son John married Mary Siren in St. Donatus. They had thirteen children, the youngest of whom was ordained to the priesthood, Father Aloysius Tritz. After a short ministry of less than four years, he died on March 18, 1905 at the age of 29. Nicholas, the second son of Adam and Mary, married Caroline Knolle in St. Donatus. Seven children were born there. In 1874 the family moved to LeMars, where they made their home in a barn while the new house was being constructed. Before they were able to move into the new house, Carolyn died in childbirth. Nicholas established a farm implement business and lived in LeMars until his death in 1909. Thier children who attained adulthood, were Herman, Mathias, Michael H. (who never married), and Elizabeth (Schliekelman). The second of Adam and Mary's sons to be called John studied in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, and joined the Benedictine Order there, taking the name Father Mellitus. He was the second native Iowan to be ordained to the priesthood. The youngest son of Adam and Mary, Peter, was 33 years old at the time of their father's death. At the time, the certificate of heirs stated after Peter's name, "Residence unknown." Mathias Bartholomeus married Mary Barbara Kass in St. Donatus in February 1867. After their third son arrived, the family needed to expand their acreage, so in 1870 they moved to LeMars, Iowa. There Mathias opened a general store, which he operated for seven years. He then went into partnership in the agricultural implement business and sold farm insurance. In 1888 he was elected Clerk of District Court. With this new position, he sold out his partnership but continued with the insurance agency. Their first son, Peter, was born in LeMars and died there in 1887 at the age of 17. Another son, born in 1874, died in infancy, and their only daughter Clara was killed at age four when a pile of lumber fell on her while at play in the yard. Four sons born in LeMars and the three born in St. Donatus, all of whom lived to adulthood, were Adam A., Joseph M., Nicholas A., Charles B., Frank N., John and Mellitus. Written by Sister Mary Cleo Tritz